Smart phone user warning

Read this stuff first, damnit!
allengt
Site Admin

Smart phone user warning

Unread post by allengt » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:54 am

I was just asked yesterday about iPhone tracking. Well the answer just came via the Today Show about 10 minutes ago.

It has to do with tracking. You need to go into your phone settings and turn location off. Anyone can track you down the inches of where you are just by using their iPhone and tracking software.
Only a fool test the depth of the water with both feet.
A bigger fool than the fellow who knows it all is the one who'll argue with him.

Read the rules: app.php/rules

slowsteady
Player

Re: Smart phone user warning

Unread post by slowsteady » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:41 am

allengt wrote:I was just asked yesterday about iPhone tracking. Well the answer just came via the Today Show about 10 minutes ago.

It has to do with tracking. You need to go into your phone settings and turn location off. Anyone can track you down the inches of where you are just by using their iPhone and tracking software.
Tor Project's Orbot/Orweb (free download) takes care of this problem. It also allows a user to access blocked sites (xhamster.com from a public library wifi for example) and spoof your phone (ie. your phone represents itself as an Android or Nokia).

It may be worth checking out. The pros, cons and gotchyas! of using it is clearly presented and forthright. Your info is encrypted and IP number is hidden. Some sites (including this one) may reject your attempt to log in, but this is the way to fly if anyone desires to be incognito.

Honey Horny
Verified Hot Wife

Unread post by Honey Horny » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:33 pm

Thank you for the info

Seldom Seen Slim

Unread post by Seldom Seen Slim » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:46 am

I'm not sure I understand all of this. That is -- if I turn off the location sensing device -- I get a message telling me that lots of things will not work on the phone. Some of it -- maps, for instance, I can do without, but other stuff gets hammered, too. Do either of our suggested sites/apps resolve that issue? Thanks.

allengt
Site Admin

Unread post by allengt » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:43 am

Seldom Seen Slim wrote:I'm not sure I understand all of this. That is -- if I turn off the location sensing device -- I get a message telling me that lots of things will not work on the phone. Some of it -- maps, for instance, I can do without, but other stuff gets hammered, too. Do either of our suggested sites/apps resolve that issue? Thanks.
They did say on the Today Show report that some things might not work and that you would have to weigh your options. You could always toggle it off and on depending on what you are doing.
A bigger fool than the fellow who knows it all is the one who'll argue with him.

Txcuck
Virgin

Unread post by Txcuck » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:01 am

If you want to leave location services on. Make sure you know who you're sharing your location with in the "find my friends" app. The iPhone keeps track of your location and find my friends lets those you've shared your location keep tabs on you. Check find my friends often to make sure someone who has or had physical access to your phone isn't trying to keep tabs on you without your knowledge. If you want more info a little Google fu " iPhone tracking you" brings several articles of interest.

Trebor845
Prepubescent

Unread post by Trebor845 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:30 am

I'm more worried about that 4 door black car that's been following me for days now ........... :???:
Looking for one local R/T friend or cpl.

bravenewworld
Experienced

Unread post by bravenewworld » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:11 am

Be aware that tracking can be a good thing too. My wife went out this past weekend with a single friend. They were not expressly looking to hookup with any dudes, but we talked beforehand and if the opportunity presented itself we agreed that was cool (unfortunately, it did not :( ). I made sure she had her tracking on because that way I could track where she was in case I didn't hear from her when I expected too (She texts me if something interesting is happening/she's going somewhere unexpected/headed home.) She has an android phone and this is very simple to do if you have access to the web and the pw for the google account tied to the phone (we both have each others pw...one of the benefits of being so open with each other). Just something to keep in mind.... :)
"Sex seemed to me all about surrender. Not the woman's to the man, but the person's to the body." Alice Munro

Txcuck
Virgin

Unread post by Txcuck » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:11 pm

bravenewworld wrote:Be aware that tracking can be a good thing too. My wife went out this past weekend with a single friend. They were not expressly looking to hookup with any dudes, but we talked beforehand and if the opportunity presented itself we agreed that was cool (unfortunately, it did not :( ). I made sure she had her tracking on because that way I could track where she was in case I didn't hear from her when I expected too (She texts me if something interesting is happening/she's going somewhere unexpected/headed home.) She has an android phone and this is very simple to do if you have access to the web and the pw for the google account tied to the phone (we both have each others pw...one of the benefits of being so open with each other). Just something to keep in mind.... :)
You are right, sometimes its ok, when its done with permission. The problem is the wannabe's tracking their wife/Gf without permission, Following y
our wife digitally with permission is hot, stalking your wife without her knowledge is just douche-baggery

inker
Prepubescent

Unread post by inker » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:48 am

slowsteady wrote:Tor Project's Orbot/Orweb (free download) takes care of this problem.

[...]

Your info is encrypted and IP number is hidden. Some sites (including this one) may reject your attempt to log in, but this is the way to fly if anyone desires to be incognito.
No, no it does not. Tor is meant for anonymitiy, not privacy. Any of the Tor exit nodes can determine your searches or other material and it is not that difficult to de-anonymize a Tor user. In fact, a lot of .gov agencies run Tor exit nodes specifially for this reason.

It will make lacing together your activities more difficult, but absolutely not private. There are lots of ways to fingerprint a unique user based on their browser type, phone type, IMEI and other details sent with each search.

cuckdave11
Trainable

Unread post by cuckdave11 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:31 am

Trebor845 wrote:I'm more worried about that 4 door black car that's been following me for days now ........... :???:
Yeah - and those large black SUV's and the guys with what look like earphones...

allengt
Site Admin

Unread post by allengt » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:16 am

You guys really like to be funny about something that has happened to more than one guy, like the guy that got blackmailed for $2000 all due to GPS information. You better hope it never happens to you.

FNQLivin

Unread post by FNQLivin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:34 pm

allengt wrote:You guys really like to be funny about something that has happened to more than one guy, like the guy that got blackmailed for $2000 all due to GPS information. You better hope it never happens to you.
I'm not going to pick an argument with you, but the tracking information on an iPhone is on device and not transmitted anywhere else. The issue is that if you lose your device and it is either not locked or the person knows your lock code, they can review the places you have been. This is how an iPhone with later versions of iOS know that it's about this time of day you go to work etc...

Once someone has your device and you have no lock code, you are screwed. To intentionally turn tracking off will cause a lot of things to not work as intended.

Google Now uses the same techniques, the only difference is that a lot of their data is stored off device and used to match against your other online activities to provide predictions of shay you are likely to be doing next.

It's a trade off of privacy versus convenience. Regardless of the platform, secure your phone with at least a 4 PIN code, biometrics if possible and ensure that remote device wiping is enabled. Use a password manager to handle your passwords and never ever reuse a password.

allengt
Site Admin

Unread post by allengt » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:12 pm

FNQLivin wrote:
allengt wrote:You guys really like to be funny about something that has happened to more than one guy, like the guy that got blackmailed for $2000 all due to GPS information. You better hope it never happens to you.
I'm not going to pick an argument with you, but the tracking information on an iPhone is on device and not transmitted anywhere else. The issue is that if you lose your device and it is either not locked or the person knows your lock code, they can review the places you have been. This is how an iPhone with later versions of iOS know that it's about this time of day you go to work etc...

Once someone has your device and you have no lock code, you are screwed. To intentionally turn tracking off will cause a lot of things to not work as intended.

Google Now uses the same techniques, the only difference is that a lot of their data is stored off device and used to match against your other online activities to provide predictions of shay you are likely to be doing next.

It's a trade off of privacy versus convenience. Regardless of the platform, secure your phone with at least a 4 PIN code, biometrics if possible and ensure that remote device wiping is enabled. Use a password manager to handle your passwords and never ever reuse a password.
Then you should have watched the today show when they proved that you can track any iPhone when the tracking is not turned off. Pick all the arguments that you want but it has already happened to people on this site. You do what you want which is ignore the facts.

cuckdave11
Trainable

Unread post by cuckdave11 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:18 am

Just in case anyone took my previous light sounding comment the wrong way (sorry Allen) it was not saying that you or the tv program were wrong about gps in your phone allowing tracking. That is why it (use my location) is switchable and why my rule for myself is that on my phones it is always off except where I switch it on to use a maps application - after which it goes off again. It would be wrong to panic about this however for a couple of reasons. One reason is that this is just the tip of the iceberg and many applications (for example I think one of the default applications in the standard Windows 10 installation) allow similar data to be available from your device. More and more data that tracks everything you do is becoming very valuable and an important part of the value of more and more businesses. Someone has already mentioned the tradeoff element of this issue and they are on the money.
The other reason is that there is such a huge volume of this sort of data out there now that anyone could count themselves extremely unlucky to randomly be the victim of its misuse. That of course assumes that you are not being targeted by someone or some organisation for other reasons - then it's a clear and present danger.

FNQLivin

Unread post by FNQLivin » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:53 am

I still fail to see how having location services off helps you. As I said, if someone has physical access to your device and you have something to hide, then you are screwed. Yes, if you want to obscure your tracks, then a smartphone that has a gps enabled with tracking services is going to be your undoing.

This is not an iPhone or android issue. It is a 'problem' with any device that has the capacity to track and store your location. If you are worried about a loved one being able to see what you are doing, then you have an issue with a phone like this. Absent physical access to your device, the information is not available. Secure your phone with a PIN, biometric data and enable remote wipe.

allengt
Site Admin

Unread post by allengt » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:26 pm

FNQLivin wrote:I still fail to see how having location services off helps you. As I said, if someone has physical access to your device and you have something to hide, then you are screwed. Yes, if you want to obscure your tracks, then a smartphone that has a gps enabled with tracking services is going to be your undoing.

This is not an iPhone or android issue. It is a 'problem' with any device that has the capacity to track and store your location. If you are worried about a loved one being able to see what you are doing, then you have an issue with a phone like this. Absent physical access to your device, the information is not available. Secure your phone with a PIN, biometric data and enable remote wipe.
Ready the 7th post down on this thread and maybe you will understand. http://ourhotwives.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19172
To me it is not important because I do not own a smart phone.

cuckdave11
Trainable

Unread post by cuckdave11 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:00 am

FNQLivin wrote:I still fail to see how having location services off helps you. As I said, if someone has physical access to your device and you have something to hide, then you are screwed. Yes, if you want to obscure your tracks, then a smartphone that has a gps enabled with tracking services is going to be your undoing.

so are you saying that if you have auto locking on your phone you can't find it via iphone tracking if you allow location? I don't think that is right but you are free to correct me.

jaynjoy2
Experienced

Unread post by jaynjoy2 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:14 am

Have we ever considered just turning the thing off? If I am going somewhere I would prefer the world not be able to track, I simply turn the iphone off. Hopefully it is not smart enough to keep tracking me while I think the entire things is turned off.

What would we do without all this technology that is supposed to help us? Interestingly, they sell us devices that help retailers and others more than the people using the thing. I know, ranting about it won't help, but I feel better now.

Vanbull1974
Prepubescent

Unread post by Vanbull1974 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:52 am

allengt wrote:

Ready the 7th post down on this thread and maybe you will understand. http://ourhotwives.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19172

The issue presented in the post in the thread you linked is slightly different than the issue presented in this thread. Although they are indirectly related.

In the linked the thread the problem is pictures have exif data that can contain location of where that photo is taken. This is because the location data was loaded into the photo when it was taken on whatever smartphone or digital camera (if it has a gps on it). This is the info that people should be concerned about. As it allows anyone on the net to get this info from the photo and find out where you were when it was taken. Which is what happened to that couple in the 7th post in the linked thread.

Now I never saw the Today Show. But the issue presented in this thread though is that by simply having the location tracker turned on in your smart phone. That anyone one would find out where you are at any given moment. Which I am fairly certain is not even possible. Sure you could potentially install a nefarious app that could be used to track you. And as was mentioned previously in this thread. A bigger concern is loosing your phone or leaving unattended with no pass lock on it.
Vancouver, Canada 42 Bull.

allengt
Site Admin

Unread post by allengt » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Vanbull1974 wrote:
allengt wrote:

The issue presented in the post in the thread you linked is slightly different than the issue presented in this thread. Although they are indirectly related.

In the linked the thread the problem is pictures have exif data that can contain location of where that photo is taken. This is because the location data was loaded into the photo when it was taken on whatever smartphone or digital camera (if it has a gps on it). This is the info that people should be concerned about. As it allows anyone on the net to get this info from the photo and find out where you were when it was taken. Which is what happened to that couple in the 7th post in the linked thread.

Now I never saw the Today Show. But the issue presented in this thread though is that by simply having the location tracker turned on in your smart phone. That anyone one would find out where you are at any given moment. Which I am fairly certain is not even possible. Sure you could potentially install a nefarious app that could be used to track you. And as was mentioned previously in this thread. A bigger concern is loosing your phone or leaving unattended with no pass lock on it.
FYI, I quoted the link for the meta data on pictures because the person I quoted it for did not see a problem with GPS information in any forum. The person that reported it to me paid out $2000 to keep his parents, her parents, and all their neighbors from finding out what they do.
As for you not believing that you can be tracked then I can only say that you should have seen the today show. They showed one reported get into his car and drive all over the place. After he was gone for 15 minutes they turned it over to the police and they located him in less than 5 minutes.
The person that first reported this problem to me was in contact with a guy who told them what restaurant the were currently at and the address of their house. He had been tracking them for a couple days.
Anyway I did not start this thread for all the non-believers but for those that want to keep their location from all unless they want to share it. For all the non-believers all I can say is just wait until it happens to you.
This is only two of the many lies that Apple has told everyone when they said that the data they collect could not be used by anyone and that they were only collecting it to better serve you, their customer.

williejb47
Prepubescent

Unread post by williejb47 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:51 pm

Phone track on, phone track off, makes no difference. It is an electronic device that can be tracked unless it is turned off.
Your mobile phone needs to update its internal working process at several and numerous times over the day and night if powered up.
It syncs with the time hacks on the net, it syncs with updates. Other devices ping your phone at random intervals to sync with towers you might be utilizing.
This malarkey about I can not be tracked if I turn off the location device is just that a lot of malarkey. It ranks up there with I can not get a virus on my cell phone..??? If any of you have been reading anything lately about cyber security you know better.
It is time to start thinking about security on all your electronic devices. Wifi in the home is one of the most venerable spots in the home. 9 out of 10 are not secured, and the rest are utilizing a out of date pass word. Some have not even changed pass words that came with wifi unit.
How do I know this, two neighbors around me have been hacked. One lost all of his records on taxes. Not his taxes, but many he does taxes for.
One neighbor had their computer hacked and they lost control over the computer.
For some of you on this site that like to have sexual activity in your homes and take pictures, or film, be careful. If a hacker gets into your data they will have some juicy pictures. If you have a baby monitor in your home, it can be turned on remotely. If your home security system is wireless, I can see everything remotely if you have cameras.
The web, net, is having troubles every day. Hackers, and criminals are getting into company and personnel data every day. It is costing company millions to secure their information and data. As one of the people above has said, some one has already paid for something that got out.
Do not let it be you. Check your personnel security. Check your bank accounts. Check who is to pay if your bank account gets hacked.
This cyber security problem is not going away, it gets bigger each day.
Take care out there and be safe. That now has a new meaning. In the old days when we told someone to be safe. That implied put on a condom. Well now it means other things.

allengt
Site Admin

Unread post by allengt » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:12 pm

williejb47 wrote:Phone track on, phone track off, makes no difference. It is an electronic device that can be tracked unless it is turned off.
Your mobile phone needs to update its internal working process at several and numerous times over the day and night if powered up.
It syncs with the time hacks on the net, it syncs with updates. Other devices ping your phone at random intervals to sync with towers you might be utilizing.
This malarkey about I can not be tracked if I turn off the location device is just that a lot of malarkey. It ranks up there with I can not get a virus on my cell phone..??? If any of you have been reading anything lately about cyber security you know better.
It is time to start thinking about security on all your electronic devices. Wifi in the home is one of the most venerable spots in the home. 9 out of 10 are not secured, and the rest are utilizing a out of date pass word. Some have not even changed pass words that came with wifi unit.
How do I know this, two neighbors around me have been hacked. One lost all of his records on taxes. Not his taxes, but many he does taxes for.
One neighbor had their computer hacked and they lost control over the computer.
For some of you on this site that like to have sexual activity in your homes and take pictures, or film, be careful. If a hacker gets into your data they will have some juicy pictures. If you have a baby monitor in your home, it can be turned on remotely. If your home security system is wireless, I can see everything remotely if you have cameras.
The web, net, is having troubles every day. Hackers, and criminals are getting into company and personnel data every day. It is costing company millions to secure their information and data. As one of the people above has said, some one has already paid for something that got out.
Do not let it be you. Check your personnel security. Check your bank accounts. Check who is to pay if your bank account gets hacked.
This cyber security problem is not going away, it gets bigger each day.
Take care out there and be safe. That now has a new meaning. In the old days when we told someone to be safe. That implied put on a condom. Well now it means other things.
Most of this post is off topic for the thread topic. If you want to discuss home security and PC protection then go to the thread that already discusses that topic and maybe you will learn something else.

Mr Storm
Trainable

Unread post by Mr Storm » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:05 pm

Why was this thread started in the hottie section?

Does this tracking have anything to do with tracking photos posted to this forum?

allengt
Site Admin

Unread post by allengt » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:16 pm

Mr Storm wrote:Why was this thread started in the hottie section?

Does this tracking have anything to do with tracking photos posted to this forum?
I don't see where you get that it was posted in the Hotties section. If you look at the top of any forum you will see it posted in the Announcements section.