Active Topics

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? They go here.
Happyjohnson
Pervert

Active Topics

Unread post by Happyjohnson » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:47 pm

Will there be a section where, once again, it is possible to see the currently active topics instead of having to go to a specific topic to determine if any updates have been made! Even if we are subscribed to that topic, it was easy to find if a specific topic had been updated?

Thanks in anticipation

Happy

chris
Site Moderator

Re: Active Topics

Unread post by chris » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:29 am

See other thread re Active Topics. It’s there just tucked away.

tay
Trainable

Unread post by tay » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:37 pm

I know it's probably "just me", but I can't seem to keep track of what I have read, and new threads. On the old forum, when you clicked on a thread to read, the color of the background changed to a lighter colors. Next time you logged on, you could see the lighter color and know that was something you already looked at. Threads with the dark background color, you knew it was a new thread, or had comment added to it. Not complaining, just "saying".

chris
Site Moderator

Unread post by chris » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:14 pm

I agree with you :)

In many ways I liked the old style better, including the change in colors of the link after being read. I think many other members feel the same way.

However, the old style also brought along significant baggage, because it wasn't an official phpBB style, but a third-party add-on. As a third-party add-on, it didn't always keep up with upgrades to the base phpBB software, so that meant delays in upgrades and lots of pesky bugs. The other big issue was that the old style was not "mobile-friendly", which is a *must* these days.

We always knew at some point we'd have to ditch the old style.... so when we did the recent major upgrade, we felt it was time to "rip the band-aid".

Incidentally, it's the same story with the language setting, but with a much lesser impact. phpBB's default and only official language pack is British English. Prior to the upgrade, we had the American English third-party language pack installed, and as default. On the last upgrade we decided to ditch American English, so now we're rolling with British English and it appears to be just fine.